Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I have just returned from a month in Central America where I was fortunate enough to work with children living in poverty while simultaneously overcoming another hilarious language barrier with five-year-olds. The experience was extremely eye opening and powerful but surprisingly it was more informative than emotional. This worked out well for me because my tear ducts have just barely recovered from Cambodia. I definitely had many "moments" with the children but Central America is leaps and bounds above Southeast Asia as far as government assistance and suitable facilities for orphaned children. They have decent living conditions, toys, basic hygiene practices and receive three nutritious meals a day. The children clearly had been given more but were not nearly as content as the children in Cambodia...interesting. This proves to me further that when the abundance of love and gratitude outweigh the "stuff" in your life you will be happier.  I was able to work not only in an orphanage but also in a kindergarten class, at a public school and two different day care centers for children from single mothers living below the poverty line. Although I was partial to the orphanage, being able to see the swings made from rice bags and rope and homemade books and bubbles at the day care centers gave me many projects to keep in my arsenal for the future. Experiencing the rural city of Ciudad Quesada in the center of Costa Rica has given me so much knowledge to use upon my return to the orphans in Cambodia.  It was inspirational to see a living example of what can be creatively accomplished with little resources and some basic support from the Country. My goal is to eventually create a volunteer experience in Central America and also in Cambodia for students from the U.S to participate in. Central America is a work in progress but Cambodia is here!

On October 29th five students from Stone Creek Charter school in Avon, Colorado were chosen to participate in the April 2011 trip to Cambodia. They each submitted essays and endured an interview process, complete with many tearful moments, to be considered for this opportunity. I was completely speechless over the compassion, composure and true heart these children displayed. They have each committed to raising $1,000 per student to help fund their trip. They have hit the ground running and are currently doing individual and group fundraisers throughout the community.  If you would like to help these children reach their goal you may donate via this blog. In Cambodia they will be working hands on in an orphanage, teaching, playing, loving and making a true difference in the lives of these impoverished children. Yes, of course this will be the same orphanage I worked in earlier this year. They will be side by side with Taupe, Dina, Tita and all my other little reasons for living. In return they will each grow bigger than they ever thought possible and individually be tested to reach their full potential.  This experience will change their lives, open their eyes and more importantly their hearts. They will keep individual blogs throughout their journey and become youth ambassadors and mentors for students on future trips for CGA. I am grateful that these students are so incredibly dedicated and committed to helping these children they have never met in a country they have never been to. I think I have clued them in enough that at the conclusion of their journey this place and those kids will be impossible to forget.

I will keep you informed on our fundraising efforts and progress. I will be gathering children's clothing and medical supplies prior to our trip, so if you are interested in donating let me know! This is truly a dream come true and I would like to take this opportunity to thank the parents of Jack, Nina, Kassie, Anna and Tabor, the students chosen for this trip, for their support and enthusiasm for this organization. Also, a big Thank you to Mrs. Gutmann, a teacher at Stone Creek Charter School, and my friend, for believing enough in my vision and her students to make this trip a reality.

Lots of love,
Lisa Marie

2 comments:

  1. You are an incredible woman that I truly admire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Lisa Marie Howle.


    I hope you can bring me next time!!

    ReplyDelete