Thursday, April 28, 2011

Last year I wrote the following about a little girl named Dina:


"One of the greatest things about today was when Dina held on. As in, I picked her up to comfort her crying and she finally held on. At two years old Dina is the youngest of all the children at the orphanage and when we first arrived here she was always alone, off in a corner, crying. Her Mother is in jail for life for a crime she didn't commit. In a country as corrupt and broken as Cambodia this scenario plays out every day. What you don't see every day is the aftermath of an only child left behind, at two years old, to fend for herself. You look at her and you can actually feel the pain and weight of her heart.  She has no one. Dina has only been at the orphanage for about a month and at just two years old it is obvious she has already suffered a broken heart. When I go home, if I am ever having a bad day I will be thinking of this little girl. The feeling I get from her smile and getting her to hold on may just get me through anything. I know she will be O.K, I couldn't have said the same even two weeks ago. It's a living example of our capability of being resilient even when we are paralyzed by fear and feeling all alone in this world."

Dina is now three years old, this morning when we arrived she ran full speed toward me, arms extended and called my name. She has done this almost every day we have been here. Instead of breaking my heart every time I look into her eyes, she melts it. She dresses herself, bathes herself, and holds her own against the other kids. She is a completely different child than the one I left last year. It's as if she has aged 8 years and now she smiles and laughs more than she cries. I wonder every day where a child this young finds this type of inner strength and peace when they have everything to cry about.  Again, I have been schooled in life by a three year old. I fear that she will grow up at survival speed just as the others have. Since last year there are three more young girls that have come to live there, just like Dina. I suspect next time I visit I will be writing the same words about them.

Our group from Vail has grown more attached by the second. They don't want to leave these kids, this place, that love. Personally I don't know how I am going to do it either. I can confirm that it doesn't get any easier. Tomorrow is our last day at the orphanage and it already hurts us all, there were even some premature tears today as the thought set in of letting go. Even though our group is covered in heat rash, sunburn and bug bites they are looking beyond themselves to the moment they have to say their final good-byes.  Just typing those words made my heart 50 pounds heavier. Having to leave, being chased down the street by kids one last time, absolutely crushes you. To ease the sorrow we are planning an all day party for tomorrow. Nothing a little glitter, bubbles, banana splits and a dance off  won't temporarily remedy. Plenty of details, pictures and tears to follow.

I love you all,
LM

1 comment:

  1. Dance off?!!! I need/want pictures of these young ones tearing it up!!

    ReplyDelete